Commercial drivers will need to carry new paperwork to drive in the EU 

Preparations are under way for all scenarios – find out what you need to do

UK hauliers operating in EU countries will be required to register certain commercial trailers and/or require new travel documents following EU Exit.

The Government is confident of securing an agreement with the EU which maintains the current, liberalised access the UK currently enjoys. However,  preparations for all scenarios and have prepared advice for all possible outcomes.

New requirements for registration of commercial vehicles 

In all scenarios (including a deal and a no deal), there are new requirements for the separate registration of commercial trailers from 28 March 2019.

New requirements for documents you will need to drive in the EU

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your driving licence in EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Check that you have enough time left on your passport for travel. 

There are three types of IDP that are valid in different countries, for different lengths of time. You may need one, two or all three for a journey. The Post Office issues IDPs and each one costs £5.50.  You do not need an IDP to drive in Ireland as long as you carry your UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the UK and EU reach no separate agreement, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. These should be requested from your insurer up to 4 weeks in advance.

You will need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign).

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)

In a no EU Exit deal scenario, EU (plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) countries will not recognise UK-issued Driver CPC. When driving vehicles covered by and EMCT permit, or any existing, reinstated or new bilateral arrangement, UK drivers will still be able to operate in the EU with a UK-issued Driver CPC.

If you’re working for a company based in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you’ll need a Driver CPC issued by one of these countries. Before 29 March 2019 drivers can exchange their UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC.

Border readiness

A checklist has been produced of all the documents that haulage drivers must carry to pass through customs if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. It is the responsibility of the Exporter to provide the relevant documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.

Stay informed

Act now. Visit for the latest information and to sign up for email alerts.