Following the UK’s exit from the EU, UK hauliers operating in EU countries may require new paperwork

Read on to find out what you need to do….

The Government’s ambition in negotiations with the EU is to reach an agreement which maintains the existing liberal access across for commercial hauliers. This would benefit both sides and allow UK hauliers to continue to operate as they do today.

Whilst the Government remains optimistic for a deal, preparations are being made for all scenarios, including a no deal outcome.

Community licences and ECMT permits

One possible scenario is that UK hauliers are no longer able to rely on automatic recognition by the EU of UK issued Community Licences. In preparation, the Government is putting in place a new automated system for the application and issue of European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) international haulage permits.

Hauliers must have a Vehicle Operating Licence (VOL) online account in order to submit an application for the permit. The deadline for applying for a permit is 11.59pm on 18 January 2019.

Trailer registration

In all EU Exit scenarios, there are also new requirements for the separate registration of commercial trailers with a gross weight of over 750kg used for international haulage to, or through, foreign countries who have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention from next March. Trailers should be registered from January on the new DVLA Trailer Registration system.

For further information about the ECMT permits and trailer registration, visit where you can also sign up for email alerts to stay up to date.