Learning Zone

Brexit - Are you ready?

By Ellen Sowerby
08 March 2021

On 31st January 2020, the United Kingdom left the European Union…

And new rules will come into force on Friday 1st January 2021. Are you ready?

Did you know that UK hauliers and commercial drivers operating in EU countries will require new paperwork from 1st January 2021?

The UK has left the EU, and will leave the single market and customs union at the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. Regardless of the outcome of negotiations, there are actions that you need to take now to make sure your business is ready.

So what documents will you need to drive in the EU?

1. International Driving Permit (IDP):

In addition to your UK driving licence, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries. More information on countries that require IDPs will be made available here.

2. Motor Insurance Green Card:

Drivers of UK registered vehicles should carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra. You’ll need multiple Green Cards if a) your vehicle is towing a trailer – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer, and b) if you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey. Ask your insurer to issue you with a Green Card 6 weeks before travelling.

3. GB Sticker:

You will need a GB sticker, even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate.

4. Driver CPC:

If you currently work for a company established in the EU, you will have to exchange your Driver CPC for one issued by the country in which you work. You can exchange your UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC before the UK leaves the transition period by applying to the relevant body in your host country.

5. UK Licence for the Community:

The Community Licence will be replaced with a UK Licence for the Community.

6. ECMT Permit:

You may also need an ECMT permit for some journeys in Europe. You will still need a standard international operator licence.

7. ‘Check a HGV is ready to cross the border’ service:

From 1st January 2021, you will have to use the “Check a HGV is ready to cross the border” service to prove that your HGV has the right EU import and commodities documents for the goods it’s carrying before it crosses the GB / EU border. You must use this service if travelling via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel, to get a ‘Kent Access Permit’.

All advice regarding Brexit can also be accessed via Gov.uk/transition-haulage.

You may also be interested in