Apprentice Quality Assurance Engineer
Location: Belper, Derbyshire, UK
Chevin Fleet Solutions is a leading provider of flexible Fleet Management Software used by commercial and public sector clients throughout Europe. With our continued growth, we have an exciting opportunity to join our Client Services team in Belper, UK.
The Apprentice Quality Assurance Engineer role is for someone with a keen interest in testing and development. The role encompasses both manual and automated testing, with the opportunity to design, generate and enhance test cases to cover both functional and regression testing.
Support and guidance in testing processes will be provided and you will be working in a small but dynamic testing team, where it will be possible for you to make the role your own. An interest in coding would be useful but an inquisitive and conscientious nature is essential.
The Quality Assurance Team is responsible for the testing of Chevin Fleet Solutions products with the aim of ensuring quality through reliability, usability and the identification of risk. The Apprentice Quality Assurance Engineer executes manual and automated testing throughout the development cycle and during periodic releases. The main functions of the role are split into three categories:
- Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures
- To allow for a successful application release, the QA Team needs to adhere to and manage the agreed workflow business-wide.
- Perform and Manage Testing throughout the Development Lifecycle
- Assist in the creation of detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans, test cases and other relevant test documentation as required.
- Utilise both manual and automation testing where considered appropriate.
- Thoroughly and accurately apply the test cases to the application under test, recording the results correctly.
- Learn to generate clear and concise bug reports, track functionality and problems as they are addressed including retesting when required.
- Assist in managing the test cycle successfully to ensure inclusion of all relevant issues and applying testing at the relevant level of detail.
- Assist in providing detailed status information for projects regarding test progress, test coverage, level of risk and suitability for release.
- All other duties relating to the successful control and management of the development lifecycle of a project.
- Quality Assurance Team Participation
- Learn to take ownership of own workload whilst being aware of the workload of colleagues in other areas of the business.
- Learn to provide QA expertise and guidance for less experienced members of the QA Team and for other teams within the Company when required.
- Learn how to investigate issues reported outside the QA Team and provide feedback, ensuring details are logged and included in future development where appropriate.
- Learn to generate and manage test data in order to cover test cases where appropriate.
- Perform, enhance and expand both manual and automated test cases to cover the application functionality.
- Ensure accountability and record evidence for testing performed.
- Follow and enforce QA policies and procedures.
- Continuously work to improve product knowledge and test coverage.
- Manage your own time effectively in the face of competing demands.
- Ensure key performance indicators are met.
- An interest in software testing and QA
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop good working relationships quickly
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work on a number of tasks simultaneously
- Strong time management skills
- A Level/BTEC level 3/NVQ level 3 in Computer Science or an Information Technology related subject
- Experience and knowledge of the development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes
- Willingness to become a knowledge leader within the business
- Previous experience in working in an IT related role
- Occasional UK and international travel is required
- Depending on business requirements and project demands, overtime may occasionally be required/offered
- You will need to be flexible and adaptable to changing requirements/business conditions
- Established in 1990 in the heart of England, Chevin has grown to become the leading global provider of dedicated Fleet Management Software. With offices situated across the globe, our software is now used in over 180 countries.
- You will join around 50 other employees at our head offices in the attractive and vibrant market town of Belper, Derbyshire.
- Our software continues to win multiple awards year after year and we were East Midlands Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year 2016/17.
- Chevin Fleet Solutions is an ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certified business.